I am a specialist in African American history in the American West with over four decades of research and teaching experience in this field at a number of institutions of higher education including currently the University of Washington, Seattle. My intellectual interest in African American history in the west began when I was an assistant professor at Washington State University in 1971. That interest continues to be driven by the desire to understand African American communities in a region which historically has not been identified with black history and culture. Understanding that history allows challenges to long held paradigms about both the history of the west as a region and the history of African America. In recent years I have taught courses at both the graduate level on African American urban history and African American urban history in the West. I have also taught the Department's graduate seminar in African American history. My undergraduate offerings include the survey history of the United States, the History of African Americans in the American West, African American history since 1900, and the Great Debates in African American history. I am also an adjunct professor in the American Ethnic Studies Department and in the Center for Multicultural Education
- Taylor, Quintard. Dr. Sam: Soldier, Educator, Advocate, Friend. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2010. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. America I AM Black Facts: The Timelines of African American History, 1601-2008. New York: SmileyBooks, 2009. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. African American Women Confront the West, 1600-2000. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2008. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. From Timbuktu to Katrina: Readings in African American History, Volume II. Boston, MA: Wadsworth Publishing, 2007. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. From Timbuktu to Katrina: Readings in African-American History, Volume 1. Boston, MA: Wadsworth Publishing, 2007. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. African American Women Confront the West 1600-2000. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2003. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. Seeking El Dorado: African Americans in California. Los Angeles ; Seattle: University of Seattle Press, 2001. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard In Search of the Racial Frontier: African Americans in the American West 1528-1990. New York: Norton, 1998. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle's Central District from 1870 through the Civil Rights Era. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994. Print.
- Taylor, Quintard. The Making of the Modern World: A History of the Twentieth Century. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Pub., 1990. Print.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Lowe, Turkiya. The Washington State Federation of Colored Women's Clubs: Social activism in Washington State's African American Women's Club Movement, 1917 to 1951. Diss. University of Washington, 2010. Chair: Quintard Taylor.
- Collisson, Craig. The Fight to Legitimate Blackness: How Black Students Changed the University. Diss. University of Washington, 2008. Chair: Quintard Taylor.
- President Ana Mari Cauce Acclaimed Professor Emeritus Quintard Taylor's Contributions to Black History - April 8, 2021
- A Place for History: Meet Turkiya Lowe ('10), National Park Service Chief Historian - December 9, 2020
- Commemorating the Centennial of the Negro Baseball Leagues - December 4, 2020
- Faculty Lecture 2019: Professor Emeritus Quintard Taylor on African American Women Who Changed the World - April 17, 2019
- Home of Award-Winning Faculty - April 6, 2018
- Department of History's Quintard Taylor wins lifetime achievement award. - February 23, 2018
- Professor Emeritus Quintard Taylor Awarded Robert Gray Medal by Washington State Historical Society - September 1, 2017
- Faculty Featured in Local, National News Media - April 24, 2017
- Quintard Taylor Featured in Pacific NW Magazine - February 26, 2017
- Letter from the Chair, Spring, 2016 - May 1, 2016
- Excavating Seattle's Past: 2016 History Lecture Series in Retrospect - March 25, 2016
- Emeritus Professor Quintard Taylor Featured in KPLU Article - March 3, 2016
- Quintard Taylor Named Washington State Jefferson Award Grand Winner - April 13, 2015
- Prof. Quintard Taylor's African American History Website featured by USA Today - March 10, 2014