Greek history has been the center of my career since I began the study of ancient Greek and Latin in high school, then continued with Classics as a major in college, and added archaeology and art history in graduate study. The 1970s were exciting for new evidence to understand the Greek "Age of Heroes" long thought to be a mythical creation of later Greece. Tablets baked in the fires that destroyed the palaces of that "Age of Heroes" were being deciphered and, after completing my Ph.D., I had the honor of working with one of the decipherers, Dr. John Chadwick. That decipherment extended the history of Greece by several millennia, making it a contender for the world's most durable culture. Consequently, to explore that durability, my recent interests have stretched to the study, teaching and research of Greece from 7000 BCE to the present.
- Thomas, Carol. Greece: A Short History of a Long Story, 7000 BCE to the Present. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2014. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. The Legacy of Ernst Badian. La Jolla: Association of Ancient Historians, 2013. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Alexander the Great in His World. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2006. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Finding People in Early Greece. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, 2005. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. The Trojan War [Greenwood Guides to Historic Events of the Ancient World]. CT: Greenwood Press, 2005. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Musings. Claremont, Calif.: Paige Press, 1994. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Decoding Ancient History. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1994. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Myth Becomes History: Pre-classical Greece. Claremont, Calif.: Regina Books, 1993. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Ninety Years at the University Book Store. Seattle: University Book Store, 1990. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. Paths from Ancient Greece. Leiden ; New York: Brill, 1988. Print.
- Thomas, Carol. The City-State in Five Cultures. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 1981. Print.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Goldman, Tristan. Imperializing hegemony: the polis and Achaemenid Persia. Diss. University of Washington, 2011. Chair: Carol Thomas.
- Quinn, Michael. Beyond the Phalanx: Hoplites at War in Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, 432-404 BC. Diss. University of Washington, 2010. Chair: Carol Thomas.
- Tada, Richard Apollodorus Of Artemita And The Rise Of The Parthian Empire. Diss. University of Washington, 2008. Chair: Carol Thomas.
- Amanda Morse: Finding Out Where History Can Take You - February 6, 2017