|Teaching Online, 101: A Guide for History Department Instructors
Go up to the Lectures page
Once you are comfortable with the basics, you may want to learn how to make your videos a little more polished.
FIrst off, you may find you wish to rename the video, to make it more student-friendly
- Find the recorded lecture in your Canvas site, under Panopto Recordings. Hover over it to show the commands buttons for that video
- Click the Settings button for that video
- Next to Name, click the Edit link. This should show the current name in an editable textbox
- Type in the name you want for the lecture, and click the Save link just below the textbox
- Click the X at the upper-right to close the Settings window
Second, you may find that your lecture videos have a few seconds of extraneous material at beginning and end, when you are starting and stopping the recorder. Here are the necessary steps to trim off those bits:
- Find the recorded lecture in your Canvas site, under Panopto Recordings. Hover over it to show the commands buttons for that video, and click the Edit button. This will bring up the Panopto Editor
- Toward the right side, you should see the big preview pane on top, below that the play controls and time-slider, and finally toward the bottom, the primary and secondary "tracks."
- Use the time-slider and play controls to find where you want your final video to start. As you move the time-slider, you should notice the red vertical bar on the "tracks" area moving as well.
- Once you have found the right spot, move the cursor over the left-hand side of the "tracks" area. You should see a thick gray vertical bar. Click and hold the mouse button, and drag to the right until you get to the red bar, then release the mouse button. All the area between the beginning of the "tracks" and the red bar should now be gray. This indicates it will not be shown to students.
- Do the same procedure for the end of the video. Find the actual end point for the lecture, then click and drag from the very right-hand side of the "tracks" area, leftward, until you get to the red bar. This should create another gray zone at the end of the video.
- Toward the upper-right of the Panopto Editor, click Apply. When prompted, click OK to leave the editor.
Your lecture recording will have to re-process. When that is complete, the desired areas will be trimmed off.