The political and economic evolution of the United States from 1920-2020. Major themes and topics include:
* national politics, major political figures and institutions, and dynamics of partisan change
* business history from the golden age of manufacturing to the era of Big Tech
* how policy shapes markets, and vice versa
* the Cold War and its political and economic legacy
* catalysts for, and the political and economic impact of, foreign immigration and refugee policy
* economic and political effects of demographic change, from the Baby Boom to Gen Z
Course workload: two 80-min lectures, weekly discussion posts, midterm, final, ongoing in-class and online writing and research exercises.